The attention of Aba South Local Government has been drawn to publications and circulating social media videos made by the member representing Aba South Constituency in the State House of Assembly, Hon Obinna Ichita, falsely claiming that sponsored thugs attacked him during a purported town hall meeting on Wednesday 25th August, 2021, and we wish to state as follows:
1. The local government never received any notification from Honorable Ichita or any of his representatives on the planned public event at a time of heightened security alert across the country and the south east region in particular.
2. Bearing in mind the current security situation across the nation we are shocked to see self published videos of Honorable Ichita in company of known thugs holding a political event within a zone in the local government that is deemed to be precarious, security wise.
3. Given the recent political activities of Hon Ichita one would have expected that he gets express permission from the security authorities in the state and local government before embarking on a political activity that potentially endangers the existing peace within the local government and the state.
4. Reports available to us from some of those who attended the purported town hall event which turned out to be a full blown political rally along Port Harcourt Road in Aba indicates that those who engaged in acts of violence at the event were brought to the venue in buses by Honorable Ichita as part of a plot to bring the government into public disrepute.
5. Based on the forgoing, we hereby call on the police authorities in the state and local government to thoroughly investigate the clear security breach orchestrated by Honorable Ichita with a view to ensuring that all those involved in the orchestrated disruption of public peace are brought to justice as quickly as possible.
6. We also wish to call on members of the general public to avoid being used by anarchists and desperate political jobbers to cause unrest in the local government at a time we are battling to ensure security of life and properties of all those residing within our local government area.
7. Finally, we wish to warn politicians to desists from acts capable of throwing our peaceful local government into needless crises as we will not hesitate to deal decisively with them, in accordance with the law.
Honorable Clinton Ebere.
Aba South Local Government
Uche Nwosu is a two time Shell Petroleum PLC award winner in the year 2000;
He won the Shell Award on Investigative Journalism and Environmental Cleanliness.