The Governing Council of the Michael Okpara University (MOUA), Umudike near Umuahia on Thursday gave reasons why it appointed Professor Maduebibisi Offor Iwe as the new Vice chancellor of MOUA.
Speaking in a telephone interview in Abuja, the Chairman of the Governing Council, Rt Hon Lawal Zayyana said after a rigorous selection process, Professor Iwe was found to be the most qualified among the over 15 professor/Applicants for the seat.
He stated that though there was an allegation of imposition of a particular candidate on the seat, the Council looked at the allegation and took some bold steps to nip in the buds anything that would have brought a breach of the peace to the ivory tower.
It will be recalled that there was a move to impose a candidate from Imo State on the university as VC of MOUA as reported by this reporter, a move the staff and students resisted by staging a peaceful demonstration on Thursday, December 10, 2020 in the university campus.
The staff and students demanded that the right candidate that emerged as the best in the screening exercise should be announced. According to them, in the 28-year-old history of the institution, only one Abia indigene has served as VC of MOUA among the five past VCs.
Interestingly, the breach of peace in the ivory tower caused by the demonstration made the members of the Governing Council to flee Abia State to Abuja where they eventually selected Professor Iwe as the successor of the outgoing VC, Professor Francis Otunta.
Born in April 7, 1958 in Umucha Umuda, Isochi in Umunneochi LGA of Abia State, Professor Iwe, a Food Technology Scientist, until his appointment as the new VC, is the Deputy Vice Chancellor, Academics of the university.
- B.Sc, M.Sc, Ph.D; food technologist lecturer, administrator
- Born on April 7, 1958
- Place: Isuochi;
- Home town: Umucha Amuda;
- LGA: Umunneochi;
- State: Abia;
- Education: Isuochi Central School; Boys High School, Ihube, 1973-77; University of Nigeria, Nsukka, 1978-83; Universityoflbadan, 1984-85; Wageningin Agricultural University, Netherlands, 1995; UniversityofNigeria, 1989-97;
- Employment: Assistant Lecturer, University of Jos, Makurdi Campus, 1985; Snr. Lecturer, University of Agriculture, Makurdi, 1997; Associate Professor, Michael Okpara University of Agriculture, Umudike, 2000; Professor, Michael Okpara University of Agriculture, Umudike, 2003; Head of Department; Dean of College; Dean, Student Affairs; Editor-in-Chief, Nigeria Food Journal;
- Membership: Institute of Food Technologists, Chicago, USA; Fellow, Nigerian Institute of Food, Science and Technology; Institute of Public Analysts of Nigeria; Nigerian SOYBEAN Association;Alumnus of Haggai Institute, Maui, USA;
- Publication: Handbook of Sensory Methods and Analysis, 2002; The Science and Technology of SoyBeans, 2003; Current Trends in Sensory Evaluation of Foods, 2007; The Colossu. A Biography, 2009;
- sc: Scripture Union of Nigeria Council;
- Hobby: footballing, table tennis.
Uche Nwosu is a two time Shell Petroleum PLC award winner in the year 2000;
He won the Shell Award on Investigative Journalism and Environmental Cleanliness.